Grades 7 & 8
The SOAR Secondary program is a small-group high-school transition support program for children in Grades 7 and 8 with a diagnosed, identified, or suspected learning disability. This program aims to prepare students for the transition to secondary by equipping them with the necessary skills to navigate their new school environment and advocate for their learning needs, thus fostering strong socio-emotional skills to set them up for success.
In SOAR Secondary, participants work on identifying their individual strengths and areas of improvement, communicating their needs, and developing strategies to prepare for a positive transition to high-school. Sessions are taught using a combination of discussion, instruction, and engaging activities.
Questions? Contact Program Coordinator, Emily Glencross | eglencross@Ldaniagara.org
Participants attending the sessions must:
- Be in Grade 7 or 8 at the time of participation;
- Have a diagnosed or suspected Learning Disability or ADHD;
- Have an Individual Education Plan (IEP);
- Not be diagnosed/identified with an intellectual disability or have significant behavioural support needs.
SOAR Program Application Date is TBD. Please check back soon!
Fall 2022 Program Details
* Fees subject to change. An annual family LDA Membership fee is $50. For more information on the LDA Membership program click here. If you require financial assistance, subsidy and payment plans may be available.
|Week 2||IEPs and Accommodations|
|Week 3||Strengths and Needs|
|Week 4||Self-Advocacy at High-School|
|Week 5||Study and Organization Techniques|
|Week 6||Managing and Coping with Stress|
|Week 7||Resources Available at High-School|
|Week 8||Wrap-Up and Panel Discussion|
Proud Community Partner: